Proudly Providing Experienced Legal Services Throughout North Jersey
Free Consultation | Se Habla Español
Krivitzky, Springer & Feldman
A Law Firm For Accident Victims For Over 35 Years
Call Us at Jersey City
or Newfoundland Office
Main Navigation
Experienced Counsel
Practice Areas

What damages can be claimed following a car crash?

After you've been hurt in a car accident that was caused by someone else, you may be interested in seeking compensation for your pain and suffering as well as for your losses. You may have financial losses due to hospital bills or missing work, and you may need money to repair your vehicle.

The amount of money you'll be able to recover is typically limited and varies depending on your jurisdiction. However, there are several kinds of damages that you can claim for. Some of these include pain and suffering, physical disfigurement, a loss of companionship, emotional distress and mental anguish.

Here are a few examples. If you are in a car accident and break a leg, you are left in pain and must suffer through your treatment until you recover. You can claim for the medical bills, and you can also ask for additional money since you were left in pain and had to suffer. If someone was killed in an accident, then his or her spouse may decide to sue for a loss of companionship. This damage claims that a person's life being lost impacted the other individual's emotional or physical health. This doesn't necessarily mean there were economic damages as a result of the death.

It's true that pain and suffering is subjective. Due to that fact, it's important for you and your attorney to decide on the best way to present your side of the story to the defendant's attorneys or to the court. There are some factors that the court will consider before determining how much in damages should be paid to you. For instance, if you have suffered severe injuries and are expected to have a long recovery time, it will be more likely for you to receive a higher amount and damages for pain and suffering. On the other hand, if you had only minor injuries, you may not receive much compensation for your pain at all.

Source: FindLaw, "Car Accident Pain and Suffering Damages," accessed Oct. 26, 2016

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Do You Need Legal Help?

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Office Locations

Jersey City Office
26 Journal Square
Suite 1004,
Jersey City, NJ 07306

Phone: 201-798-2711
Fax: 201-653-6806
Map & Directions

Newfoundland Office
Lakeland Plaza
2713 Route 23 South
Newfoundland, NJ 07435

Phone: 973-874-0556
Fax: 201-653-6806
Map & Directions

  • BBB Rating A+
  • New Jersey Association for Justice
  • Featured Lawyer

Recent Posts On Our Blog