Uninsured & Underinsured Accidents

a man and woman arguing after a car accident

Uninsured & Underinsured Accidents

Being injured in a car accident can leave emotional and physical scars that last a lifetime. At Krivitzky, Springer & Feldman, we understand that it can be frustrating and financially challenging when you’re involved in an accident with a negligent motorist who has minimal or no insurance coverage. If you or a loved one has been hurt in a crash and you’re considering suing an underinsured motorist, our dedicated Jersey City car accident lawyers put our skills and resources to work to identify and pursue all potential sources of compensation for your damages.  

What Is An Uninsured Motorist Claim?

All vehicle owners in New Jersey are required to carry liability insurance. Unfortunately, many people on the road don’t have insurance at all or only have the minimum coverage that’s required by the state. That’s why it’s critical to carry uninsured motorist (UM) coverage on your policy. If a motorist without insurance, or a hit-and-run driver, causes property damage or injury, your UM coverage should cover accident-related expenses, such as medical bills.

What Is An Underinsured Motorist claim?

If your injuries and damages exceed the maximum amount of a negligent motorist’s liability insurance, you may be able to pursue a claim for underinsured motorist benefits from your policy as well. For example, if a driver who rear-ends you only has $15,000 in liability coverage and your medical bills and other damages exceed that amount, you can claim additional compensation from your insurance company if you have UIM coverage. Although suing an underinsured motorist is possible, using UIM coverage is usually the most effective route to get the maximum compensation you need and deserve.

Which UM/UIM Insurance Policy Covers An Injured Victim’s Damages?

Several factors make uninsured and underinsured motorist claims complicated. If you own a vehicle and carry UM/UIM insurance, even if your vehicle isn’t involved in the accident, your UM/UIM coverage should apply. If you were hurt as a passenger, or driver, in someone else’s vehicle, then the insurance policy on that vehicle may also be a source of compensation. There’s often more than one UM or UIM policy that may cover your damages. If you’ve been hurt in a hit-and-run accident or were involved in an accident with a motorist who has little or no insurance coverage, it’s vital to contact an attorney who’s experienced in handling these types of cases.

Pursuing Uninsured Motorist And Underinsured Motorist Claims in New Jersey

Insurers frequently try to use exclusions and exceptions to deny or minimize claims. Our car accident attorneys are well-versed in analyzing complex insurance policies and are familiar with the tactics these companies often employ. It’s important to take swift action as these types of cases are complex. Delaying the claims process can make it difficult to determine which insurance policies were in effect on the date of the accident, which can hinder your ability to recover compensation from all potential sources.

For more than 40 years, Krivitzky, Springer & Feldman have helped injury victims successfully recover maximum compensation in uninsured and underinsured motorist claims. We know that each case is unique and evaluate your specific circumstances, advise you on the most effective course of action, and help you pursue all possible avenues of compensation.

Contact Our New Jersey Underinsured Motorist Lawyers

If you’ve been injured in a car accident involving a hit and run, uninsured, or underinsured driver, we can help. At Krivitzky, Springer & Feldman, our car accident lawyers fight for your rights and work tirelessly to help you recover the compensation you need and deserve. Our personal injury attorneys work on a contingency basis, which means you won’t owe attorney fees if we don’t obtain a recovery for you.  

Call us at 201-798-2711 in Jersey City. You can also contact us online with any questions or to schedule a free consultation. Our attorneys also serve clients in Jefferson, West Milford, Vernon, Kinnelon, and throughout the state of New Jersey. Se habla español.